Group shot before the race. I'm kneeling just behind and to the left of the sign.The program goal was to prepare for a 5k race, so it makes sense that there's a race at the end. This 5k race is only for women and its a great event. All the men in Reston Runners came out to cheer us on, some wearing grass skirts and coconut bras. There was an official finish line hugger to greet each finisher, and we got lots of great stuff ~ a mini cooler, socks, beach towel, good food.
The race was yesterday morning. It was already in the low 80's and super humid when I headed over there at 7:30 in the morning. I had made a goal to run the race in less than 27 minutes and I was afraid that the heat might slow me down. Reston Runner volunteers were pacers for the rest of us. I joined the 8:30 mile pace group (there were only 3 of us!). I told the pacer, Stephanie, that I didn't think I would be able to keep up with her the whole way, but I would give it a try and hope to end up with about a 8:45 mile. Our first mile was exactly 8 minutes. We tried to slow it down during the second mile, but we were still running to fast at mile 2. I began to lose steam at the end, but Stephanie cheered me on and I stayed with her to the finish. My overall time was about 26:50 (official results haven't been posted yet), which is an 8:39 mile. My fastest 5k ever!

Coming down the home stretch. That's me in the pink shirt. Note the grass skirt-clad men.
Almost there!
On the morning of the 4th of July Rob and I are going to do a 5k. I'm curious to see if I can repeat my fast time without a pacer. We'll see!

3 comments:
That is so cool!! Way to go! I can't wait to hear how the next one goes!
Looks fun! I think that if I was going to participate in a race I would want to be the finish line hugger.
I'll be the one holding your snacks for you, how's that?
Post a Comment