Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!!

This is my beautiful mom!

Her birthday is June 14th ~ Flag Day. A summertime birthday is perfect for my mom because summertime is her time to shine. She loves to garden. The vegetable garden, flower garden, orchard and yard all flourish under her care. When I picture my mom in my head, that's how I think of her ~ in the garden. She plants her corn in a floor plan rather than in rows so the grandkids and nieces and nephews have a corn house to play in, complete with little table and chairs for picnic lunches. She cans peaches, makes grape juice, strawberry jam, and my favorite, apricot syrup, to keep our family basking in the sweet summertime flavors all year long.


My mom is my biggest fan. All growing up, through T-ball, soccer, softball, tap dance, piano lessons, basketball, band etc. she was always there. Last summer as I was preparing for my first triathlon I was having a hard time getting used to open water swimming. During a visit home, we went down to the Columbia River several times so I could practice. When I swam with others, she jogged along the shore. When I swam behind our boat, she rode on the inner-tube encouraging me. As I headed back to D.C., my mom said those swim outings had been her favorite part of my visit home. Thinking about how much my mom believes in me helped me to swim really well on race day.

I love you mom! Happy Birthday!!

4 comments:

Talai said...

What a sweet post. Your Mom sounds wonderful!

EarlGirl said...

I agree, your mom is amazing! I hope I grow up to be a little like her. It's so fun to run into her when I go grocery shopping.

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

She is a mighty fabulous lady. I'm so glad that she and your dad always made an effort to come visit us when we were growing up, no matter where we were living.

Jenn said...

I love your mom's laugh. It makes me laugh! She has a great sense of humor too.