I miss Toby. He lived right here in Reston. We'd go running together early in the mornings. We'd go swing dancing a couple times a week. We'd wash our cars together, play chess, watch movies, metro all the way to Maryland to attend FHE with the deaf branch.... He was a great person to not be lonely with.

During grad school there was Aaron. We spent most of our time doing homework, but we never got lonely doing homework, and when I wrote the paper and he did the presentation, we were an unbeatable team. We would talk about everything - all kinds of stuff. I think of Aaron every time I hear salsa music. He saw my potential and treated me as though I had fulfilled it. He never failed to express confidence in my abilities and he encouraged me in my every pursuit. 
During the undergrad years there was Angela ~ my roommate and my best friend. We would go on long walks around Provo, often stopping off at the BYU Creamery for some ice cream. There was talking about boys, flirting with boys, avoiding boys. Anne of Green Gables movie marathons. Christmas music all year round. We still talk on the phone often, but I miss having her closeby. 
This is such a transient area. I've lived here 7 years and in that time I've had several generations of friends - whole groups of friends who didn't know the friends I had before them and never met the friends I made after them. They came and left and I stayed. A few stalwarts, like Rob, have been there with me through a few generations of friends, but its amazing to think of all the friends who have come and gone from my life in the years that I've lived here.
I need to find a new friend who lives close to me. Someone to go to movie with, someone to watch TV with, someone to play Five Crowns or Yahtzee with, someone I can drop by and visit sometimes, someone who drops by to visit me sometimes, someone I can call up on a beautiful evening, like tonight, to just go for a walk with.

5 comments:
I'll go for a walk with you!!!
I know what you mean. I've been in my house for almost 8 years, and I've seen a lot of generations of friends come and go too. I'm lousy at keeping in touch, so when they go, they stay gone.
I'm on the other end. All I have are cyber friends. I haven't lived in one place for more than a year and a half for a long while. You've sounded restless lately, Cherie. I hope you find what you are looking for. I'm thinking about you.
I'm just tired of being the one always left behind as my friends get new jobs, move away, get married, etc and move on to bigger and better things. I want to be the one to leave now and move on to bigger and better things... but I don't have any bigger and better things to move on to.
I'm sorry Cherie, it is hard in this area. If you don't mind a baby that tags along (unless its the weekend, the Aaron can take him), call anytime.
Post a Comment