Sunday, July 13, 2008

Glen Echo Park


I LOVE Glen Echo Park!!! It is my very favorite swing dancing venue. My friend, Tien, took me there for a dance right after I moved here back in 2001. I fell in love with the dancing and the venue and I've been smitten ever since.

The park has a bumper car pavilion, a huge beautiful old carousel and a wonderful ballroom. I love to see it all lit up at night. Its like stepping back in time into a classic old time amusement park.



The ballroom was built in 1933 and can accommodate 1,800 dancers. The swing dances always have a live band. Some nights its a big band and some nights its more jazz/blues style.

Glen Echo is a National Park so it is an alcohol-free, smoke-free, family-friendly place to dance. You see all kinds of people of all ages and nationalities there. And people ask you to dance!!! (This is not a church dance!) You can dance every song if you want to. Everyone is there just to have a good time, enjoy the music, get some exercise and move with the groove.

When people come to visit, Glen Echo is always on our list of places to visit. In May I was able to take Grandma Kerr to a dance and we got to ride the carousel. This past Saturday night I took Mom & Dad & Randy to a dance.


Mom & Dad have been taking swing dance classes so they had lots of good moves.


Here Dad and I are doing the "super spin" move.


This guy, Ken, was a fantastic dancer and we danced particularly well together. He asked me to dance quite a bit and I ended up dancing with him about half the night.

1 comment:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

That looks like SO much fun! I wish I could get my fella to take me dancing. We've probably been to 2 dances since we were married 8 years ago. There is just an exhiliration that comes from kickin' up your heels.