Sunday, September 14, 2008

Favorite Hymns

Today we had a wonderful, wonderful Sacrament meeting at church! They opened up the time to the congregation and invited us to come up, share a hymn-related spiritual experience and testimony, and choose one verse of one hymn that we would then all sing together. It was a powerful meeting. We need to do that more often.

During the meeting I began reflecting on my favorite hymns. The one that came to mind first is "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". That's the hymn that represents the theme of my mission. It is not in the English hymnbook, but it is in the Vietnamese hymnbook and was a favorite among the Viet missionaries. When Andrea and I were companions we loved to sing it as an acapella duet whenever we visited members in their homes. Then after my mission, when I returned to BYU, I had the privilege of being in an outstanding stake choir. We sang Mack Wilberg's arrangement of this hymn in the Provo Tabernacle with an orchestra accompaniment for a special address from our Stake President, Truman G. Madsen. It takes my mind back to my mission and to BYU - times that I cherish.

Go to http://mabrystudios.typepad.com/reflections_of_christ/2008/03/reflections-sli.html to hear an outstanding arrangement of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" that accompanies a slideshow of photos from the "Reflections of Christ" exhibit. (This will soon be available on DVD through Deseret Book. I'm so excited!!)

Another hymn that comes to mind is "How Great Thou Art." I remember in family gatherings when I was young, Grandpa Kerr liked to sing together as a family, and this hymn was often on his song list, especially for Thanksgiving. Several years ago I took a few semesters of sign language through the Fairfax County adult education program. As a culminating project at the end of the last class I took, we were supposed to prepare a story, poem or song to sign for the class. I chose to sign "How Great Thou Art." I got the DVD of sign language hymns and I got help from my friend Toby to learn it. Focusing on each word individually and the physical expression of each word brought even more meaning into the song for me. There wasn't a dry eye in the class when I finished signing the hymn for them.

Two other hymns I've spent a great deal of time with are "Where Can I Turn For Peace?" and "Abide With Me." I wrote a hymn arrangement, using those two songs together, for my friend Tim who was dealing with some difficult challenges at the time. I've seen my fair share of challenges in the last several years as well, and these hymns have often been close to my heart, drawing the Spirit into my life, helping me remember where I can turn for peace and reminding me that my Savior will always abide with me.


I love to gather around the piano and sing hymns with friends and family. I've hosted several Sunday evening hymn sing-alongs and I have a feeling another one is on the way.

What is your favorite hymn and why?

3 comments:

EarlGirl said...

Those are some great ones. Some of my favorites are "How firm a foundation" especially the verse that begins 'fear not I am with thee o be not dismayed' I love the strength and assurance in that one. Another special one for me is "Be still my soul" It's so comforting that through change, tears and pain, He's in control and that we'll all be safe and blessed when it's over. Great post!

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

Mine are "Where Can I Turn for Peace," and "Be Still My Soul" (which I would like played at my funeral--in case anyone's interested). Those both really helped me through my rough college years. "How Firm a Foundation" though was huge for me. I had this Family Science class at WSU run by this psycho nazi anti-family bitter divorcee, who loved to attack Grandma's generation. She said that all men back then only used their wives for one thing--that and to make them clean their houses. I, of course, raised my hand and vehemently objected, explaining that my grandparents were nothing like that. She sneered at me and told me I had no idea what I was talking about. I had just come from Ricks and was shocked and appalled at this attitude. I felt like everything I held dear to me was under attack. I went to the Institute building after class and closed myself in a room, crying my eyes out on the piano bench. I started flipping through the hymn book and "How Firm a Foundation" jumped out at me; how the generations before us had laid this support for our faith, and about how the Lord would support us as well. It was the most direct, comforting message I could possibly have received at that moment.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that a wonderful meeting? My favorite hymn is Away in a Manger because of these words:
"Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask thee to stay close by me forever, and love me, I pray". Several years ago when I was very ill and frightened this was my prayer, too.