Friday, May 9, 2008

Another Fun Tag

I've been tagged by my cousin Kristy! I'm supposed to write seven things about myself that are random and weird. This is a tough one! I can't think of all seven things right now, so I'll have to come back and edit this post later to add to it.

1. I return things to stores a lot. Just a few weeks ago I got an omelet pan. The first time I used it (on just medium-high heat mind you) the teflon all came off and the handle melted. So I took the destroyed pan back to Bed Bath & Beyond and exchanged it for a new one. I've made omelets on low or medium heat since then and I've been careful to keep the handle away from heat and the new pan has held up fine. My mom says she can't believe they took the mutilated pan back, but they did. I returned jeans to Old Navy once that had sat in my closet with the tags on them for about 3 years. I still had the receipt and they still sold the same style of jeans, so they took them back. Several times I've bought clothes and they've gone on sale a week or two later. I've taken my receipt in and asked that it be adjusted to the sale price. The cashier wouldn't do it. So I asked if I could go pull the item off the rack, buy it on sale and then immediately return it with my original receipt. They said yes, so I that's exactly what I did. And I've done this many times. Wouldn't you think it would be easier for the cashier to just adjust the original receipt?

2. I have to be really, really warm at night or I can't sleep. Currently on my bed I have fleece sheets, an electric blanket, a heavy wool blanket and a light down comforter. I sleep with the electric blanket on all night long. Probably when I get married we'll have a lopsided-looking bed with lots of blankets on my side and just one on my husband's side of the bed. I don't know many men who are always cold like me.

3. I have always preferred the company of boys over girls. I think I think like a boy. I prefer boys' logical thinking and straightforward communication rather than the emotional thinking and drama of girls. When I was in elementary school and everyone went through that "no girls allowed" / "no boys allowed" phase where hanging out with the opposite gender was taboo, I couldn't stand being excluded from what the boys were doing. I wanted much more to play He-Man, Airwolf and Star Wars instead of Barbie. I wanted to build a raft out of scrap lumber instead of play with make-up. I used to wish I was a boy. I'd put all my hair up in a baseball cap and tell the neighborhood kids my name was Jimmy so I could hang with the guys. I'm sure they couldn't see through my disguise :-) It wasn't until much later in life that I realized that the only way I could be in the company of a boy for the rest of my life was to be a girl so I could marry one.

4. I sing in the car. When I'm in the car alone, which is usually the case, I sing in the car 100% of the time that I'm driving, unless I'm on the phone. I like to sing along to Norah Jones, Tracy Chapman, Josh Groban, Colbie Caillat, Hillary Weeks etc. I sing really loud. And sometimes I think I sound pretty darn good singing in the car, but it doesn't always sound good because I sing the parts that are outside of my range too. I always face a dilemma when the weather is nice because I like to roll my windows down, but then other people in other cars can hear me singing. Sometimes I don't care, but sometimes I do. I, however, very rarely sing in the car when I'm in the car with anyone else. Even with like Tim or Rob, who sometimes sing along to the music playing, I don't usually join in. I need to get over that. When I sing in front of people at talent shows or in church, I try to imagine I'm just singing in the car by myself. I sing better then.

5. I can't be trusted with cans of peanut butter or frosting in the house. If I get in a snacky mood and there are no snack foods readily available, I've been known to pull a can of frosting out of the cupboard and eat the whole can! I also often eat peanut butter by the spoonful. Knowing I'd likely give in to temptation, I don't usually keep these items in the house. I buy them immediately before I need to use them.

6. When it comes to putting on socks while sitting on a big medicine ball, I have no talent whatsoever. Maybe I need to work on those core muscles.

7. Thinking...

5 comments:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

That one is harder than you would think, isn't it?! Mine took me forever. I would never have guessed that you were an item returner though. Isn't it fun to learn new and weird things about people you've known your whole life.

EarlGirl said...

I agree, the item return thing was a shocker. How dark you've turned out to be! Good stuff! ;)

Sweet Cherie said...

Oh yes! I've got some of the Kerr thriftiness gene in me.

Jenn said...

I'm going to have to try that some time! I have had to sit on my tag now for a while trying to think of seven and then trying to narrow it down to seven. Those are so funny to know!

Sarah Jones said...

I have had a pair of jeans hanging in my closet for about a year now that I got at the GAP and have never worn. I thought it would be too late to return them, but I guess its worth a shot!