Monday, February 4, 2008

Choose wisely!



In Primary this year at church I teach the 8-year-olds. The lesson manual outlining what I'm supposed to teach each week is brief at best. If I just did what was in the lesson manual we'd be done in 15 minutes, so I'm constantly trying to come up with additional little activities and object lessons for the kids. This week our lesson was about the Liahona. As Lehi and his family traveled through the wilderness to the Promised Land, the Liahona guided them and gave them direction when they were obedient. We talked about how the Spirit can be our Liahona and can give us guidance and direction as we are obedient to the commandments.

Now for the object lesson - I brought a bag of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Jelly Beans. These jelly beans have some good flavors and some really gross flavors. I had each of the kids come up and eat a few jelly beans. I had the trash can handy so they could spit out the bad ones. They got a good mix of good and bad flavors. Then I showed them a flavor guide that I created and I let them choose a few more jelly beans to eat. We talked about how the Spirit is like the flavor guide and can help us make better decisions.

If you want to use this object lesson too, I can email you the flavor guide (I can't figure out how to post files on my blog). I've found the Bertie Bott's Jelly Beans at Bed, Bath & Beyond, but I think they've been discontinued, so buy your jelly beans soon. I'm going to buy a few bags to keep in reserve for future lessons.

1 comment:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

My sister-in-law got me some of those around Christmas. They sat on the table for quite a while, with various people gathering their courage every now and then to come have a taste. We ended up with a big pile of gray ones that no one would touch.