Sunday, January 20, 2008

What one thing....?

There was a good talk given today in church about New Year's Resolutions and it got me thinking. I'm a big fan of goals and I have a whole list of goals I want to accomplish during my life, but the speaker today talked about focusing on one goal this year. He asked the question, "What one thing can you do this year that will make the biggest difference in your life?"

I've already set several goals for this year and I've been working on them (losing weight is on that list as always), but when it comes down to it, the one thing that I can do this year that will make the biggest difference in my life is to be consistent. My Grandma Kerr said once that the greatest challenge of her life has been consistency, and I have to agree that consistency seems to be at the heart of overcoming most challenges and accomplishing great things.

There are so many areas of my life where I'm doing pretty good, but if I'd just be unfailingly consistent in those things, I'd be doing fantastic. Exercising, eating healthily, getting enough sleep, studying the scriptures, saying my prayers, paying down extra principle on my mortgage, being patient with others, having faith & hope....etc. I do all these things sporadically, but the goal this year is to do them consistently.

5 comments:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

I always just hope that if I'm sporadic pretty frequently, that eventually it will turn into the ability to be consistent!

Jenn said...

Isn't that kind of cheating, Cherie? That's like getting three wishes and as one of your wishes asking for eight more! I'm pretty sure that's not legal! If you had to pick one to be consistent with, which one would it be?

Sweet Cherie said...

Well, the ones I'm being most consistent with so far this year are exercising and eating healthily. I'm doing really well. I've lost 8 lbs since returning from my Christmas vacation. Just 20 more to go! But I think the key in my success with these is that, with the help of a dietitian, I've been focusing on developing consistent healthy habits, and losing weight just naturally follows.

EarlGirl said...

Ah,consistency! The bane of my existence. I'm making more progress than I realized though. I found a manifesto I wrote in 2003 about what I needed in my life. It shocked me how much of the things I desperately wanted are habit now. I think some things just take time.

Jenn said...

I am extremely consitent with existing.