Sunday, February 22, 2009

I did it! Let there be light!

I attacked a home project this weekend - I replaced my dining room light fixture. There was a ceiling fan light fixture over the table, but the fan didn't work and the brass color didn't match the brushed nickel I have everywhere else.

I found a chandelier that exactly matches and light fixtures I put in the bathroom and master vanity (yeah for matching!) The installation instructions for the chandelier were slightly inadequate, so it took a lot longer than it should have, but I got it up. I really, really needed a man of steel to help me open and close the links on the chain to get it to the right size, but with a google search for tips, 2 screwdrivers, vice grips, brute strength and a couple hours of trying, I did it. Whew! At least I know the chain is strong enough to hold the light up.

I thought the chandelier would make the room look smaller because the light would be in your line of vision instead of high up on the ceiling, but it actually makes the room look bigger because the chandelier is so much smaller than the fan. I hadn't realized how large that fan was.

Here are my before and after pics:


Before


After

3 comments:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

I love it! You are right though. Those things are a stinking pain in the neck to put up. I once put a ceiling fan up by myself and I thought I was going to die! How are your shoulders today after that project?

Bottger Family said...

Wow that light really makes a big difference in the room. It makes the whole layout look more modern! Good job!

Shiloh said...

I am very impressed! It looks really good! :)