Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Roasted Veggies

I have a goal to plan my meals better. I'm too hungry when I get home from work to take an hour or two to cook something, so I try to do some cooking on the weekend to get me through the week. One of the best and most versitile things I cook up is a bunch of roasted veggies.

For the base dice up:
1 yellow onion
1 green pepper
1 yellow squash
1 zuccini (fyi: East Coast zuccinis are significantly smaller than West Coast zuccinis)
3 tomatos

You can add these in as well if or when you feel like it:
1 raw, peeled and diced sweet potato
1 eggplant
fresh corn cut off the cob
etc

Dice up a bunch of everything, stir in just a touch of olive oil, put in 9x13 pan, cover with foil and bake at 350. Bake until veggies are soft and tomato juices are released. I usually take the foil off and bake another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool, then store in the refrigerator.

With roasted veggies in the fridge ready to go you can make the following meals in a jiffy:

Spaghetti - Cook up some noodles, mix veggies with some store-bought spaghetti sauce and simmer for a few minutes, throw them together and dinner is ready!

Burritos - Together with a can of beans, some cheese and tortillas you have a veggie burrito.

Curry Quinoa - Cook up some quinoa or rice. Mix with roasted veggies and yellow curry sauce (I buy the sauce at Trader Joe's in a bottle just like ketchup)

Roasted Veggie Panini - Put a slice of cheese and a pile of veggies between two slices of bread. Heat in a George Foreman until the veggies and warm and the cheese is melted.

Or just add to soups, frozen dinners, etc to beef up the veggie portions in any meal.

Roasting veggies ahead of time. That's my great cooking secret.

1 comment:

Bottger Family said...

Reading this is making me super hungry. Sounds delicious and super healthy! I am heading over to my frig to look around and see what I have got.