Sunday, August 23, 2009

Seek learning even by study, and also by faith

In my anti-clutter efforts I got overzealous and deleted the "before" pictures of my old desk as soon as I sold it on Craigslist, forgetting that I'd need a before pic for my blog. Oh well. This picture was taken a couple years ago, but my "before" desk configuration was very similar to this only with another filing cabinet on the right where the trash can is and a 13 inch TV to the left of the computer tower. Can you say clutter? So this is my desk BEFORE......



.... and AFTER. Isn't this soooooooooo much better?!

I already had two filing cabinets and Randy suggested keeping the cabinets and just getting a simple Ikea desk to go over them. Thanks for the suggestion Ran! Its perfect!

I love my nice clear, organized, open desktop that I'll actually be able to use. Doesn't the vase of flowers just perfectly complete the whole arrangement? I love it!


I got a new Dell computer in a nice slim design case, which is much, much smaller than my old computer. My old computer computed faithfully for me for 6 years, but it was time to put it to rest. Unfortunately I'll have to put my printer to rest too because its not compatible with Vista. I've had the printer for more than 10 years and it still does better color prints than Kinko's. So sad to see it go.


I wanted to put a letter tray on top of each filing cabinet under the desk, but I needed just a tiny bit more space between the bottom of the desk and the top of the filing cabinets. So I made legs for my desk, bringing it up one inch. Aren't they perfect? I can do so much with a mitre saw. They're held on with sticky-tack, but I think it looks like the desk came that way. With the legs on I have room for my letter trays.

I have one letter tray right under the computer and printer with blank paper in it....


.... and one letter tray for mail & other papers I need to go through and file.


I installed a keyboard/mouse tray right in between the two filing cabinets. Its a perfect fit! I have less than a half inch clearance on each side.


This monitor stand is a Cherie Jones original. I knew exactly what I wanted in a monitor stand - just a little riser to bring my monitor up 3-4 inches with clear space underneath it to put a few books - and of course I shopped and shopped just to find that such a thing didn't exist. So I built one. I used a small shelf, two plinth blocks, a mitre saw, screws and spraypaint and I now have what I consider the perfect monitor stand.


My main goal in reorganizing my desk and workspace was to create an environment that fosters serious, genuine study. I wanted my scriptures and a few other select books (whatever I happen to be reading at the time) to be very easily accessible with lots of open desk space right there in front of me so I can just slide the books out and read.


I've put my monitor slightly off center because my keyboard and mouse are both on the pullout tray. I end up sitting a little to the left. I got a vase with some flowers to put just to the right of the monitor and it works wonderfully. It evens out the visual lines of the space and adds just the right amount of color and femininity in an otherwise very functional workspace.


Aren't they beautiful?! Rob helped me pick out the flowers and I love them!


I put two small floating shelves up so I can have some pictures and scented candles there to beautify and personalize the space, but also have them up off the desk.



The window is right there so I can let the sunlight in. I hope this new clutter-free workspace will be a wonderful place for me to study, think deeply and better focus my life on important things ~ good things.

6 comments:

EarlGirl said...

I love the clean lines, and especially that you can't see the cords. I hate seeing cords.

Sweet Cherie said...

I'm so glad you noticed the cords, or lack thereof. I took great pains to bundle all my cords with little zip ties and attach them to the wall behind the desk, so they're all organized and up off the floor. I'm becoming a minimalist slowly but surely. I'm finding I don't like having lots of stuff around me all the time.

Alisha said...

The desk looks great!

Jewels said...

Ah, a woman after my own heart. Yes, this is a thing of beauty. I also love that you documented every detail.

Shiloh said...

Can I just say that I think you are amazing?! I love that you can build things out of wood!! I'm seriously very impressed-- it looks great, as does you new kitchen! :) You go girl!

Carrie said...

It looks wonderful!! I LOVE before and after pictures :o) Very, very nice!